Effective Date: January 1, 2023
Virginia Consumer Personal Data Rights
A consumer may request to exercise the following rights, or, as parent or legal guardian, may request to exercise the following rights on behalf of a child younger than 13 years of age:
- 1. to confirm whether or not we are processing the consumer’s personal data and to access such personal data;
- 2. to correct inaccuracies in the consumer’s personal data, taking into account the nature of the personal data and the purposes of the processing;
- 3. to delete personal data provided by or obtained about the customer;
- 4. to obtain a copy of the consumer’s personal data that the consumer previously provided to us in a portable format, if technically feasible;
- 5. to opt out of the processing of the personal data for the purposes of (i) targeted advertising, (ii) the sale of personal data, or (iii) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning the consumer.
We will authenticate such request using commercially reasonable efforts. If we are unable to authenticate the request, we shall not be required to comply and may request that the consumer provide additional information reasonably necessary to authenticate the request. If we decline your request, we shall inform you without undue delay and within 45 days of receipt of the request and provide a justification for declining the request and how the consumer may appeal our decision.
We shall respond to the consumer without undue delay and within 45 days of the request, but may extend the response period by 45 days if reasonably necessary taking into account the complexity and number of the consumer’s requests, and provided that we inform you of such extension and the reason within the initial 45-day response period.
Our response to your request is provided free of charge up to twice annually. If your requests are unfounded, excessive or repetitive, we may charge a reasonable fee to cover our administrative costs of replying or decline your request.
If we have obtained personal data about you from a source other than you, we may respond to your request for deletion by (i) retaining your deletion request and the minimum data required solely to ensure that your personal data remains deleted from our records and not used for any purpose, or (ii) opting you out of the processing of your personal data for any purpose other than those exempted by law.